Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Preparing to start on my first short.... advice needed

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Bnew's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm preparing to start on my first short and have some questions:

    1. I don't have money for an adapter box like a BeachTek/XLR-PRO, where can I get an XLR to stereo mini jack cable?

    2. Anyone got any ideas about what to use as a cheap boom solution (e.g. telescopic painters pole)? And also how to attach it, where to get it from etc..

    3. Where can i get colour balanced 3200k bulbs? Can I fit them in regular sockets (like in my house?)

    4. Are these Interfit Tungsten 500W 3200K lights any good? (http://www.karlu.com/studio_tung.htm)
    Is the fact that they're tungsten irrelevant because the colour temperature's 3200K?

    5. What's the deal with reflectors, other than size, shape and surface, is there no difference between brands? Also, can someone give me a run down of the different surfaces and their uses/effects?

    6. I was hoping to include a couple of tracking shots, anyone got any ideas on where/how to get a 2nd hand wheelchair? (or have any better ideas what to use?)

    I'll probably have some more questions once I think of them or problems arise, cheers for any help.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member twister!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2001
    Posts
    1,034
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The only ones I can help with are:

    2. If you do a search that topic has been covered a few times.

    5. Not really much difference between brands. White is the standard colour. SIlver is similar but it gives off stronger light. Gold gives warmer light. Black suck aways light. For a cheap alternative you can use large white card (which you can get from an art shop) - or large board covered with silver foil. The advantage of the real (bought) ones is that they collapse down to quite a small size.

    6. They sell wheelchairs for under ?100 here http://www.mobilitymegastore.co.uk/item387.htm . For a cheaper alternative you can get a cheap push-chair (for babies) for about ?20 - that's what I have used.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 17, 2005 12:56 PM: Message edited by: Justin M. ]</font>

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Bnew's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Wicked, thanks mate. Think I'll try the push chair this time and look into possibly getting a wheelchair for the future unless I can blag one off a nursing home or something.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Bnew's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have some more questions (and also would appreciate answers to questions 3 & 4 still):

    7. How do you effectively pull focus on a mini dv camera? Do you put some kind of marks on the focus ring or something?

    8. Where can I get gaffer tape from?

    Also, about the boom: I've searched through all the old posts, but I've still not really got a concrete solution.

    The best was this, because it would allow me to use a proper shockmount, but I've not been able to find any lightbulb changing kits with telescoping poles and attachments (or even any kits whatsoever).

    Next best was this but this requires making stuff and i'm crap at that.

    So what i'm thinking is getting either one of these or these (halfway down the page - BEYER EA90 SHOCK MOUNT) and just attaching them to a telescoping mic stand (either one that can be taken apart or folded out so it can be held like a boom). But will those shockmounts be okay (as in will they actually work in reducing handling noise), they seem kinda cheap compared to 'real' ones. Also any suggestions on mic stands that could be used?

    I'm sure i'll come up with more questions.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member eddie123456789's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2002
    Posts
    152
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    8. Where can I get gaffer tape from?

    Oh my GAWD!!!!

    Dont even think of switching on your camera!!!!
    Gaffer tape is the single most important friend you have. (or havent got....will ever get....)
    DIY shop, Homebase, Focus, Home improvement store.....what ever its called in your language.

    Seriously, the absolute first thing you HAVE TO DO is find a shop that sells Gaffer tape. Buy a roll. Breathe a sigh of relief, and then move on.

    um....pull focus on a DV camera?
    Make sure you are shooting with Manual Exposure/aperature. and MAnual shutter speed.
    Open the aperature wide.
    Use GAFFER TAPE to mark your focus points......
    (see - you cant even think about focus pulling without gaffer tape - you cant even think about dressing a set without gaffer tape, you cant position actors effectivly without gaffer tape, you cant lock down your tripod without gaffer tape........)

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Bnew's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2005
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ahh heh, mark focus points with gaffer tape should have known..

    What exactly is locking the tripod down with gaffer tape, just taping it up so it can't move?

    cheers for the help [img]graemlins/thumbs_up.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ February 01, 2005 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Bnew ]</font>

  7. #7
    Inactive Member sn-films's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2001
    Posts
    374
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Bnew:
    1. I don't have money for an adapter box like a BeachTek/XLR-PRO, where can I get an XLR to stereo mini jack cable?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">First try an electronics store, like Radio Shack. If you don't have any luck there, go to a music store that sells electric guitars, amps, mixing boards, etc. They'll definitely have an adapter.

    Good luck.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member eddie123456789's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 30th, 2002
    Posts
    152
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    &gt;What exactly is locking the tripod down with
    &gt;gaffer tape, just taping it up so it can't move?

    exactly - Gaffer tape it to something or someone SOLID.

    To be honest with you I would just use red electrical tape, or masking tape to mark your focus points - Gaffer can leave unsightly chunky bits of gluey tape on your expensive Camera when you take it off if you arent carefull.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •